All Saints' Anglican Church, Rome
A growing Christian community in the heart of Rome finding and following Jesus in worship,
fellowship, study and service.
Facebook    Twitter
Listen to some organ music, played by Titular Organist, Gabriele Catalucci Listen to some organ music, played by Titular Organist, Gabriele Catalucci

Walk Round Tour

The Marbles

There is also the bonus of a marvellously rich and varied display of coloured marble from many parts of Italy. In identifying these from the list which follows, it might be borne in mind that such a demanding specification was a major cause of the strain in financing the building. Perhaps it was as well that the type ordered from Greece was found to be exhausted.

The Nave Arcades

Six columns are of green Carrara from Seravezza on bases of red Perugia.
Three piers are of black Verona, red Perugia. And yellow Sienna.

The Pulpit.

The pulpit is also of yellow Sienna and black Verona, with finely worked inserts of white Como. It is memorial of Canon Wasse, who was Chaplain throughout the period of construction, and who lent a large sum of money to get the church completed when it had begun to look as if the shortage of funds was going to erect only a new Roman ruin. The Pulpit, being post- 1891 (the year of of the Chaplain's death), is by G.E.Street's son Arthur Edmund. Its style is different from that of the rest of the church, and could be said to echo the spirit of the early Roman basilicas. It fits in remarkably well.

The Low Wall

The low wall separating nave and chancel is also by A.E.Street (1889) and is in white Carrara, yellow Sienna and black Verona. It was put there (fortunately without a divisive screen above it) in memory of Cecilia, wife of the Honourable Henry Walpole. He was the son of the Earl of Orford, and the two of them were great friends of All Saints' in their day, specially in raising funds for the new building. The designs from the wall have been used as the motif on the kneelers, which began to be worked by members of the congregation in 1981.

The Font

The Font, was given by Mr. Swinnerton, on the London building committee, in 1883, and A.E.Street designed it in the various marbles, with an eight sided bowl bearing several symbols in relief. You can see among them a rather jolly fish.

The fish has long been the symbol of their faith by Christians even longer than the cross. It was a secret badge in times of persecution (there are many examples in Rome's catacombs) and the reason for its use was this: The Greek word for "fish" was ICHTHUS, and this could be spelled out, with its individual letters, the message -

Iesous = Jesus,
CHristos = Christ,
Theou = God's,
Uios = Son,
Soter = Saviour


© 2015 Copyright All Saints' Church - Via del Babuino, 153 - 00187 Rome, Italy - Tel. +39 06.36001881 - Reserved Area